- 1293- An earthquake strikes Kamakura, Japan, killing about 30,000.
- 1647- Alse Young becomes the first person executed as a witch in the American colonies, when she is hanged in Hartford, Connecticut.
- 1805- Napoléon Bonaparte assumes the title of King of Italy and is crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy in the Duomo di Milano, the gothic cathedral in Milan.
- 1828- Mysterious feral child Kaspar Hauser is discovered wandering the streets of Nuremberg.
- 1830- The Indian Removal Act is passed by the U.S. Congress; it is signed into law by President Andrew Jackson two days later.
- 1964- Montana becomes a U.S. Territory.
- 1868- President Andrew Johnson is found not guilty in his impeachment trial by 1 vote.
- 1896- Charles Dow introduces the first publication of the Dow Industrial Average.
- 1966- British Guiana gains its independence, becoming Guyana.
- 1998- The U.S. Supreme Court rules that Ellis Island is mostly in New Jersey rather than New York.
- 2006- The May 2006 Java earthquake kills over 5,700 people, leaves 200,000 homeless.
The Conservative Journal wishes a Happy Birthday to..
- Stevie Nicks, because I don’t want to anger anyone that might be a Wiccan*, 61.
- Hank Williams Jr., his song is called “The Red, White, and Pink Slip Blues”, need I say more? 60.
- Bobcat Goldthwait, clearly because of the name, 47.
- American singer-songwriter Lenny Kravitz, 45.
*The Conservative Journal DOES NOT believe that Stevie Nicks is or has ever been a member of the Wicca Cult.
To all you Polish mothers out there, Happy Mother’s Day!
Thanks for participating!