The latest winner from the Idol franchise released his first post-Idol studio album on Tuesday, and it’s definitely a strong CD. I will (actually, we will. more on that later) be reviewing the full disc in the coming days, but until then here’s my personal favorite previously unheard track, “The Truth”. Listen below:
What do you think of “The Truth”? Be sure and check back for a full review of Kris Allen (the album) over the next few days. Leave your comments below or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to bookmark The Conservative Journal and sign up for the RSS Feed and the daily e-mail newsletter.
Also, Deluxe Membership is now available, click here to join for free.
Thanks for reading!
Also, be sure and use the new rating feature, found at the bottom of comments and posts!
For the third year in a row, iTunes is offering an end of the season collection of each contestant’s best performances of the year. This year, I’m pretty sure the collection includes every performance of the year. To continue the theme of celebrating Kris Allen’s victory, here is a review of his “Season 8 Favorite Performances Collection” via iTunes:
(The songs are in the order they appear on the track listing, and will be rating on a scale of 0 to 10 elephants)
- “Ain’t No Sunshine“- 9 Elephants- Probably my 3rd favorite song by Kris of the season. This one really pushes Kris’, and he think he pulls out if very well. “Ain’t No Sunshine” is some of the best evidence that Kris can make anything current.
- “All She Wants To Do Is Dance“- 8.5 Elephants- Though this performance received some of his less enthusiastic critiques, the studio recording is fun and, as usual, has a current sounding vocal. The backing music is the main detractor from this song, but overall it’s a good one.
- “Apologize“- 8 Elephants- The vocals are great, but it sounds almost identical to the original. This is one of the less inventive Kris Allen tunes. A must have for fans, but those with the original can probably save the 99 cents.
- “Come Together“- 9 Elephants- Well first of all, I love this song. And though Kris’ rendition doesn’t quite live up to Carly Smithson’s from last year, it’s entertaining. Kris takes a more fun, upbeat route with “Come Together”, and I think it worked better on the recording than on the show. But I enjoyed both.
- “Falling Slowly“- 9.5 Elephants- Ahh, “Falling Slowly”. The live performance, it’s worth noting, was brilliant. It was performed the night that only two judges gave critiques and Randy, in his ignorance, gave it a very poor review. Simon fixed by calling it “brilliant” the next night, and thankfully it was too late as Kris was sent to safety. My favorite vocal from Kris, but second favorite only to..
- “Heartless“- 9 Elephants- So convenient how I could transition seemlessly like that. Anyway, many of you that followed my season of American Idol commentary know that this is the only song I gave an “A+” rating on my recap. Well, the recording only gets a 9 because the acoustic element is not there. In American Idol fashion, they have to throw in the full orchestra even for great acoustic performances. Still a great song to have.
- “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)“- 7.5 Elephants- This is one of the few songs that I just cannot remember the live performance for. I’m debating over whether I was gone for that episode or something. Anyway, this is one of the least memorable of the “Kris Allen Collection”, and the back-up singing is a annoying and too loud.
- “Remember the Time“- 7.5 Elephants- “Remember the Time” is very much like the above song, though I do remember this one vaguely. It’s a more upbeat and fun song, though I don’t think I’ll find myself putting it in the “Top 25” rotation on my iPod.
- “She Works Hard For the Money“- 8.5 Elephants- This when I really started to consider Kris as a potential contender. He took this Donna Summer song and completely changed it up in a way that made it current and entertaining. The live version was definitely better, but I think he more than likely didn’t choose the extra orchestra accompaniment.
- “The Way You Look Tonight“- 7.5 Elephants- The recording of “The Way You Look Tonight” is one of Kris’ more traditional songs. It doesn’t stray far from the original, and is a more subdued performance by Kris.
- “To Make You Feel My Love“- 9 Elephants- I sure am glad that I decided to review this because I had forgotten all about this performance. This performances came around when no one really knew anything about Kris and mostly just considered him the purest form of canon fodder. However, “To Make You Feel My Love” is truly a great performance, and it deserves a little more praise than it has gotten.
- “What’s Going On“- 9 Elephants- The finale of Season 8 was full of great performances by both contenders, and this was definitely one of them. I prefer the live version of this one slightly, but as you can tell I usually do when it comes to American Idol produced songs. Definitely an under-appreciate song from the “Kris Allen Collection”.
I definitely enjoyed listening back over Kris’ performances of the season to see just how far he progressed as a competitor and an artist. As for the playlist, the following make the cut:
- “Ain’t No Sunshine”
- “All She Wants To Do Is Dance”
- “Come Together”
- “Falling Slowly”
- “She Works Hard for the Money”
- “To Make You Feel My Love”
- “What’s Going On”
What do you think of the “Season 8 Favorite Peformances” from iTunes? If you disagree with my review, let us know!n Leave your comments below or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Don’t forget to bookmark The Conservative Journal and sign up for the RSS Feed and the daily e-mail newsletter.
Thanks for participating!