- 1807- A grand jury indicts former V.P. Arron Burr on a count of treason.
- 1843- Thousands of people and their cattle head west via wagon train from Independence, Missouri to what would later become the Oregon Territory. It is part of the Great Migration. They follow what is now known as the Oregon Trail.
- 1848- Slavery is abolished in Martinique.
- 1856- Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina beats Senator Charles Sumner with a cane in the hall of the United States Senate for a speech Sumner had made attacking Southerners who sympathized with the pro-slavery violence in Kansas.
- 1906- The Wright brothers are granted U.S. patent number 821,393 for their “Flying-Machine“.
- 1915- Lassen Peak in California erupts, joining Mt. Saint Helens as the only eruptions in the continental U.S. during the 20th century.
- 1942- Mexico enters World War II on the side of the Allies.\
- 1947- U.S. President Harry Truman enacts the Truman Doctrine, giving $400 million of aid to fight communism in Turkey and Greece.
- 1960- The largest earthquake ever recorded hits southern Chile. It registered a 9.5.
- 1962- Continental Airlines Flight 11 crashes after bombs explode on board.
- 1992- After 30 years, 66-year-old Johnny Carson hosts The Tonight Show for the last time.
- 2008- The Late-May 2008 tornado outbreak sequence unleashes 235 tornadoes, including an EF4 and an EF5 tornado, between 22 May and 31 May 2008. The tornadoes struck 19 states and one Canadian province.
The Conservative Journal wishes a Happy Birthday to..
- American businessman T. Boone Pickens, 81.
- Alaskan Senator Lisa Murkowski, 52.
- former left handed MLB pitcher Tommy John, 66.
Also, don’t forget to go buy a banjo because today is “Buy a Musical Instrument Day”!
Leave your comments below or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to bookmark The Conservative Journal and sign up for the RSS Feed and the daily e-mail newsletter.
Thanks for participating!